Pages

Monday 7 May 2018

Not very self reliant.

Not yet at least! Our aim is to spend less money on food and produce more of what we need here at home.
A few months back T and I went on a soap making course so that we can provide good quality soap that we can afford and that doesn't aggravate my skin. Since then, I've learnt to make fly and tick repellents for the animals (shame I didn't use any on myself!) and we have the ingredients to make many more household products. This is to cut down on plastic and waste packaging as well as hopefully saving money in the long run.

A couple of weeks ago, we bought our chickens. After a quick wing trim, they were let out in their new run.
 Moomin and her brother in the orchard garden. This is the start of the vegetable area and it needs a lot of work.
 This little fruit tree has settled well and is today about to blossom. This picture shows the size of the orchard garden. We can't use it all as the Fosseptic goes through part of it and we don't fancy eating from that area! It's fine for growing my dye plants and an area for chickens and later goats though.
I took the Oessant fleece out of the suint bath a few days ago and now that it's dry it's wonderfully soft. There is a little scurf, but because it's not been hot washed, the scurf is still soft and easy to get rid of. I'll take some pictures later if I'm up to it.
We're supposed to be going to the market today, but my foot is still painful and now I have a stiff neck, yeeesh! I'm a mess!!!

4 comments:

  1. Take care of yourself. Don't put yourself last, darlin. Looks like y'all are on the path to self sufficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soap is always something I wanted to make, but because of my asthma, and the recipes I saw mentioning fumes, I haven't. Glad you have got to grips with fly and tick repellent too.

    The chickens look in lovely condition and you will soon be egg-rich! Good luck with your future orchard too. My trees are all coming into blossom now and I have just planted the ones I grew from pips. I know they will hark back to their ancestry, but hey, they will be apples and the bees will love the blossom.

    I hope that you are able to spin again soon and your foot is soon back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you already know, there's a great deal of work involved in a more self-reliant life style. I've found over the decades that some things which were important in one place and time are less so in another. [Gardening on a huge scale is no longer a physical possibility!] We can buy fresh eggs and produce in season very reasonably at the Amish market a few miles up the ridge. We've always lived frugally and that's not likely to change.
    I enjoy reading of your adventures and experiments in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete