Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2018

Making big changes, little steps at a time.

I've had my eyes opened by an article I found while searching online for 'no dig gardens'! It's an amazing article by a lady called Ruth Stout. What a wonderful woman she was, I'd love to track down one of her books. You can read the full article here.  It's totally changed the way I view my garden and suddenly no longer feel overwhelmed by the tasks ahead. I already had a small knowledge of the no-dig system and started the current veg beds with cardboard and some mulch, but clearly, I've not been using enough. We have plenty of spoiled hay due to the extensive rain and fussy ponies, plus I have the modest compost heap, so with the help of my son, I'm going to get going later.

I've also been looking at Rhonda Jeans posts about dishwashing. Is it possible to wash dishes with bar soap? I'm running out of shop bought washing liquid and my supplies haven't yet been delivered for the liquid soap. I need Potassium Hydroxide for liquid soap as the Sodium Hydroxide I bought for bar soap doesn't work the same way. I've discovered a bottle of caustic soda that I bought in England and it contains Sodium Hydroxide, well, who knew??? It was so much cheaper than the 'proper' stuff. I may give it a go later and see what the soap turns out like.

But for today, I may pinch a little of the lemon and mint soap that T made on our
course. I'm sure he won't mind and I can always make more :D 




11 comments:

  1. The mention of Ruth Stout sent me on a web search for the garden commentator i heard for years on Vermont Public Radio--Ruth Page. She had a voice like tires crunching over gravel--an assertive croak. Rodale's Organic Gardening Magazine and their many books set a standard here for many years. No idea of the availability of such publications in England or France. The emphasis is on easier and more practical ways of growing food and flowers. As you know, the chronic aches and fatigue of FM are not enhanced by herculean efforts in the garden--but we persist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that makes my life simpler is a bonus, MM :D

      Delete
  2. I've been reading Mother Earth News probably since it first started, but I've never heard of Ruth Stout. What is strange is that I'm a big fan of mulching and composting. I love making compost tea in big plastic trash cans and watering my flowers, herbs and veggies with it. It's wonderful. Please don't over work yourself. FM is nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of her either, Leeanna, and I've been interested in this kind of thing for over 15 years. She's probably one of the forerunners of it all!
      I'm trying to work in a clever way, not one that kills me ;)

      Delete
  3. I am sure if you grate some of your bar soap into water and leave it to soften, then agitate it in a bottle, you will have something you can wash up with.

    I've heard Ruth Stout mentioned in the past week so I am off to read the article, as I struggle with maintaining my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, she's worth a look and I'm in favour of a simpler life all round :D

      Delete
  4. I like that you're making your own soap. :) That's something I'm going to move towards, though right now, we are trying to switch from commercial products (laundry, body washes, shampoos, dish soap and regular soap) to goat products. Once we can ween off the commercial crap and enjoy the benefits of natural products, then I'm going to look into making my own.

    Interesting article! I would never have thought of doing something like that but clearly she's a success! I'm into low-maintenance gardening that's for sure! Right now since we're still renting, I have pretty much everything in containers except the pumpkins, but I'd love to read her book if I can get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start making soap Rain, you'll be hooked :D

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, thanks for all of the wonderful info, insights and sharings..I will definately check out Ruth..sounds fantastic, I always love stuff like that. Have a magical day!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great article, Victoria. I hope you also have a magical day.x

      Delete
  6. I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
    Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much...
    Thanks for sharing the good information!
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete