Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2020

Thoughtful.

I've watched a couple of you-tubes about an incredible lady called Emma Orbach, please do look her up. I discovered this lady 4years ago, roughly, on a Ben Foggle program about people living in the wilds! Emma had become increasingly dissatisfied with the modern world and changed her life while living in a woodland in Wales. You must hear her tell the story, she's a wonderful story teller.

When I first watched the program I was already contemplating Wales as my next home, but I wanted a conventional life, a farm and all of my animals. My children were coming with me, so we needed a house. However, I re-evaluated my needs and began to see how a version of Emma's lifestyle might suit me better.  Then I met my sweet man and love filled my head and France became our focus. Of course, some of that is because the weather here is far better for my health, yes, it's still pretty damp, but when the sun comes out it's warm and my muscles relax.

However, the reconnection with Emma now has come at a point when I've begun to feel out of sorts and her story has highlighted the reasons.  I've been so caught up with rennovations and stressing to make money while at the same time spending more and more money on the house that I've completely lost touch with why we're here! We came here to change, to leave the hectic world behind, not bring it with us!

So today I've been clearing out for all I'm worth. The car is loaded to the roof and I'm going to the Deschetterie which is a far nicer word for garbage dump!!! I'm on a mission to downsize, de-clutter and re-evaluate EVERYTHING!

I hope to clear out the studio as well and make it simpler, a little haven instead of a headache!

I've also been working in the Potager in between storms and have now made two chestnut wigwams with our own coppiced wood. Little by little I'm working towards a more self-reliant life but the simplicity is what I'm lacking and therefore that's where I'm aiming!
If any of you do look up Emma, please let me know what you think and if you feel as moved by her as I do. Could you live that life?

7 comments:

  1. I immediately went to Youtube to see the videos about Emma. She's a very brave woman to be living alone and off the grid like that. I really envy her. In light of your situation, you have to spend the money to get where you want to be in the future. That was the same with David and me. I didn't like the house we were living in because it was built in the 1940's. It was drafty and you could see under the house in certain closets. So I started working harder and longer to make the money to renovate every single room in the house in order to keep the snakes and bugs out and the warmth in. It worked and then my health took a downward spiral. We didn't have the money coming in to finish the kitchen renovation but the house is fixed. So do what you have to do now so you will be happy later in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Leanna, we have to plan ahead. It's not easy though when sometimes I just want to live in a little mud hut, lol!

      Delete
  2. It is great to catch up with your blog and your new focus. I hope you can keep feeling so encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about Emma Orbach - an interesting lady. Change is hard no matter if it's living more simply or remodeling to achieve a level of contentment. But I do believe you have to be happy in your home, be it a mud hut or grand castle, to feel safe, secure, and right with the world. All shall be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Pam, I agree totally and what one person calls home may be very different to anothers <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, this is where yesterday's conversation comes in - though I am reading this after we spoke about Emma of course. I think I am too long in the tooth to live quite THAT simply but I admire what she does and it is obviously right for her.

    ReplyDelete