Pages

Tuesday 15 March 2022

More Cats!!!

 We didn't need any more cats and my limit was set at 10. For 2 years we've managed quite nicely at 9!

So back in September on a return trip to the supermarket, T spotted two little creatures running beside a very busy road, not far from the motorway, we screeched to halt and I dived out of the car. I grabbed one as it shimied up a telephone pole! I can't describe the pain as those tiny needle teeth sunk into my fingers! The biting stopped once the kitten was inside my coat and I managed to put her into an empty wine box! The other had vanished but I went back 30 minutes later with my two adult children who were visiting. We crept quietly across the grass verge and under a hedge were two black kittens, fast asleep. I'm still angry with myself to this day that I didn't try harder, but I only managed to grab one of the kittens, the other fled across the field and into a chicken farm! I think I was successful with this kitten because it was so malnourised and covered in fleas and ticks.



They lived in a cat carrier for some weeks and then moved into the house in one of those animal play pens. Slowly they became tame, but it took a lot of patience and when my daughter returned again for another visit, she helped me. The black and white is the little girl, Eclipse and she was clearly too young to be taken from her mama as she sucks her little blanket before eating or drinking anything. I often had feed her, while the boy, Jasper, has turned into my little shadow. I love them both so much and through the last few difficult months they have brought me so much laughter and comfort.

So, I'm not really alone on this crazy farm, although it was a very strange feeling this morning to think that these quiet days are here now until the students start arriving to learn English.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweetie...you are definitely not alone with all of those furry felines! I just read your last post too. I hope you're doing okay. I just subscribed to your YT channel! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of our cats over the years have come to us from a situation of neglect or abandonment. I sigh inwardly, knowing we are letting ourselves in for expense and sometimes very upsetting experiences. But--how can one not try to help? Several of these 'cast off' kittens have become pets with a deep attachment to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We "captured" a feral kitten long years past. She took a long while to accept attention from humans but finally decided my husband was her human.

    ReplyDelete