Pages

Sunday 8 September 2019

Autumn is creeping in.

I love this time of year, the chilly mornings and evenings with warm sunshine in between. I'm getting so much done in the garden as the weather is perfect for it. It was just too hot a few weeks back but I'm still adjusting to the climate and how to get the best from it.

Autumn here is a long drawn out affair a gentle slide into shorter days and cooler nights. I've got my wool out and will be finishing a blanket for the dogs. I'm trying to get away from using the cheap blankets we bought as they seem to disintergrate after a few years. We have a big fluffy blanket on the bed, the dogs love it, but each time it's washed a big cloud of fibres fills the air and the blanket is beginning to look quite lifeless! I'm planning a big cream and grey one from my homespun wool. It will have to be squares though as I just don't have the patience for knitting large pieces!!!

This wool was from a farm friend here and as with many sheep bred for meat, the wool is hit and miss. However, despite the huge amounts of VM (vegetable matter), it's wonderfully soft and has lovely colour variations.
 The stripes will probably even out when this is plied and will look a little like tweed.
 This wool was another gift and another surprise. It's as soft and luscious as it looks in this photo. I began knitting a small test swatch, but instead it turned into a glove! Now I have to spin more for the other glove, haha :D

Some sad news, that's really knocked me this week. Our darling little Fae cat staggered home barely able to walk on Thursday. I made her comfortable and left her for 24 hours as I assumed she'd been fighting with the new cat. When I took her out to go to the toilet I was horrified to see that she was much worse. The next day we took her to our local vet, who as it turns out practices Reiki, Homeopathy and is training as an osteopath.  She's awesome!
A thorough examination revealed shredded claws on all feet, a sure sign of a car accident. I'm so shocked as we only have one or two cars go past our house and our neighbours are always so careful. Thankfully Fae is beginning to improve and hasn't any serious injuries other than a misaligned spine. She may need to have another manipulation treatment tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Autumn - still a long way off in my part of the universe. Hopefully we will have cooler weather by Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor little Fae. I do hope she gets better soon. I noticed that at night the temperatures are creeping into the 70's (20's celsius). It is starting to cool down slightly here in Texas. But Hell's furnace is always on during the day.
    On the Brexit matter, I was watching our U.S. C SPAN channel here in the U.S. It is mainly a government channel on cable TV to let us know what our elected Senators and House members are doing to our government. Well, on Sunday mornings C SPAN broad casts what the British Parliament is doing. It was mostly Brexit of coarse. The fact that the members hate the Prime Minister and there needs to be an exit deal or the people will not only suffer monetarily but also through education, medical, etc. I sort of understand a bit of it now. Your MPs are just like our Senators and House members. They want to line their pockets as fast as they can with as much as they can before they leave. And I thought american politicians were bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...poor Fae! I hope she's okay. Honestly this is why our cats stay indoors, I'm terrified that a car will hit them. There are so many irresponsible car drivers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor puss...hope she's soon on the mend. x

    ReplyDelete