Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2018

Slugs!!!

I think slugs are like the Hydra. You cut one down and ten more appear to take it's place! Most nights around 10.30 I give the ponies their last feed which is a bale of hay spread along the edge of the field. Then I grab a torch and a knife and go slug stabbing.
The big ones are easy, but the tiny white ones are a nightmare. They can decimate a plant en masse but you can't acutally grab or stab them as they're too little. Then, there seems to be a call that goes out to the top field - 'All lower field slugs are no more, move down, move down'! They all march down the pathway from the muck heap to the orchard and the potager - bastards!!! (sorry Leeanna, I had to say it!)
I then stagger, defeated, back to the house where the cats are waiting for second supper! What are they, tiny hobbits???
I'm taking a glass of wine to bed with me now.

3 comments:

  1. Ever give them beer, to drown in? Some sort of a container they can get into, and can't get out of.... Never had to do it, but have heard of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried, thanks you Wisps, but French slugs can take their ale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a little dressing of sharp sand....ever seen a slug at the beach? x

    ReplyDelete