Pages

Monday 25 September 2017

It's all going nuts!

I've been looking at ways of preserving our walnut harvest which seems to be getting a bit out of hand. Yesterday I thought we had a good haul, but after the heavy winds of last night, the crop had easily quadrupled! There's no real way of knowing how many nuts are on a tree as most are concealed by the leaves. I really wasn't expecting to have this many though. I've ordered a vacuum pack machine and had decided to shell and pack the nuts and store them in the freezer as this avoids any risk of bacteria. It seems that if you look up preserving food of any kind, the US posts the most informative methods, including all the dangers and scientific proof to validate their concerns. We could die from botulism at any given day! However, it's good to err on the side of caution, so my solution is to do my homework and take all the information on board!
A basketful of nuts, once shelled, gave us a small bowl of flesh. It didn't matter as it was enough to experiment with. The shelled nuts were put on a roasting tray and baked for 10 minutes. Half of the tray were left to cool for lunch tomorrow, in a salad and the other half were made into a sort of granola/flapjack thing.
I heated a half cup of sugar until it became liquid. Stirred in a slice of butter and then stirred in the walnuts and a half teaspoon of cinnamon and a half cup of oats.
It all quickly cooled and set into little clumps of toffe nuts and oats. It was so hard not to eat the lot straight away, so I quickly put it all into a pot for tomorrow mornings breakfast or snacks.  The nuts have to be processed in some way as they wont keep for longer than three weeks, roughly, without going mouldy. The nuts we buy in shops have all been processed to given them a long shelf life, whereas these nuts are full of moisture and not at all like the ones we expect to eat at Christmas!

This was the moment when Manchee got out of the house and ran to help Moomin with the nut collecting. He's been cooped up a lot this week, recovering from his latest health problem. It was an unfortunate event arising from two households merging. Some animals just aren't meant to get along together and in this case, Manchee was the loser! Again!!!
Finn showed that he's more than able to deal with silly ponies running around. As soon as they see me, they all expect to be fed! They simply can't understand that I would want to collect nuts instead of getting their dinner! What craziness is this? they ask???
Finn and Cotton love playing on the wall in front of the house. I first saw this wall on the Estate Agents website. How was I to know then that my very own precious cats would find it such a lovely place to play. They've settled in perfectly and it makes my heart glad :D

5 comments:

  1. I would love to have that many walnuts, it will be a few years before our trees are ready to produce, we had a walnut tree beside us at our other house and used to collect them in the green for pickled walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have all those walnuts! We have pecans in my part of the world, which I love, but I'm also fond of walnuts. We freeze our nuts for storage too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yarrow :) Wow...that is nuts lol! ;) How nice to have a treat like that. When I think of how long the store-bought nuts last...I think of how many chemicals I'm likely ingesting. I'm so happy you found a way to preserve them! I think that botulism is more likely from stuff I get at the grocery stores lol! :)
    Your furry family is so lucky to have a beautiful spot like that, as are you! :) Glad to see your posting again, does this mean a better internet connection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third time trying to post! The internet is still intermittent, Rain!
    Thank you to everyone who visits and leaves a message, it's so good to hear from you :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching up on your last few posts. Glad you have sunshine (I think we have your rain about to arrive!) and are out and enjoying it. All those Walnuts - brilliant - for food and the dyeing process too. Thank you for the acorn post as well. I must try and get myself a little dyeing done again.

    You sound happy (apart from the failing brakes!!) I hope you soon get your car back and glad to hear that your French is improving now.

    ReplyDelete