Pages

Saturday 31 July 2021

Thinking out loud.

 

Last year, a visitor to our farm took a series of photographs and made up a little book for us. I was over the moon and so happy with how it all looks and to see our achievements in print is something very special.

Life has changed so much for us since moving to France and the world outside our bubble has changed as people struggle to come to grips with everything that's happened. It's not just the virus we're all facing together, it's the realisation that Climate change issues are very real and important and we can't keep our heads in the sand forever. Some people though are determined to do that and of course, that's their right but it's going to get them in the end! I wonder how many people have completely changed their lives in view of the last year and a half?

As I head into a week off, I'll be thinking more and more about our future and how we move ahead. We need to be earning an income but I still don't want to rent out our Gite to lots of different people. The reasons are varied, and the virus gave me time to really think about how I feel about having strangers in my space. I'm a solitary person by nature and although I like to see people and chat occassionally, my home is my refuge and I like to be very private and quiet. Having students here has drained me in ways that I struggle to explain without sounding so anti-social! However, the bills must be paid and the animals cared for, so my thinking cap will be on as I plan next year. Thankfully the students have covered our finances for the winter and T is earning enough for our weekly expenses, so all is good for now 😍

4 comments:

  1. I would feel uneasy having strangers wandering around my yard also. But I do know Air BnB's are very popular here in my part of the world. It's something to think about certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could ever have strangers in my house for a few days. I would be trying to avoid them and maybe finding a way to get them out. I just can't have anyone here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Leanna and Pam, you're both getting my view point exactly. It's been so hard opening our home to strangers, but it's dug us out of a financial hole, but I really hope I can get back to the work I came here to do - my art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to home being your refuge...and I can relate to needing an income. It's a tough situation. I'm so glad you have enough to keep you going all winter. I hope you find a way to make some money without having to give up your sanctuary! :)

    ReplyDelete